Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The New Year: 365 days of Awakening

The New Year: 365 days of Awakening

Day 5, January 5, 2011
Show Your Hair

What a great message to someone like me... "show your hair" when today I am "hiding" my hair or at least my curls with straight hair. In my defense it is winter and I don't have the heart or the sinus capacity to go out into the world with wet hair. Nevertheless, this is my hair, just dried straight, no chemicals other than the oils I put in it to sustain it... wow, my hair is dry!

I have spent a good portion of my adult life protesting against the idea of "good hair", hair length (cut it, it grows back). And while I know that this is not about hair, but the message behind it, it simply fits. Hair is an important aspect of many people's identity and if they spend most of their life hiding it from the world under wigs, relaxers, perms, weaves, extensions, jerry curl juice, etc... then how is the world to belive that we are who we say we are? If you are killing yourself to be something other than who you are, how God made you (or Buddha, Hari Kirshna, whomever) then what difference does it make if someone external from your life asks you to change?

The point of today's words... I am (and you are too) enough for the world and I do not have to hide parts of me for acceptance. I do not have to hide any part of me at all - not even my full head of crazy curls.


Sincerely,
~Cher

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment