Monday, December 13, 2010

The management of me: A prayer for management

The management of me: A prayer for management

I need to be managed. I know too much, and the funny thing is that I know nothing at all. Some of what I know is about management theory. It's only theory, but here's the thing - it makes sense and I need a leader. A real one.

A manager leads, plans, organizes and controls. The very few times I ask how I should go about something, I ask my supposed leaders and they don't know, it is discouraging. Why won't you make a decision? Okay, maybe it is the first time encountering a problem: let's trouble shoot and genuinely think of a better process. Let's figure out a solution.

Doing things the old way because it is the old way that has worked does not make it a good way or even the right way. But change is scary and fear turns into resistance. If you expect resistance you will be met with resistance and that is just the truth (okay the Ford's wrote about it but only after Kotter).

So, I want to learn. I want the organization to have measures set, to recognize the constant need for change to impose best practice methods in everything they do.

I can't say that I have been totally unhappy with the false sense autonomy and empowerment but now with all that I know: Deming's Theory of Profound Knowledge, for example is really compelling and attractive when management at my current disorganization knows nothing about processes that I have improved; let alone have profound knowledge. What about those forms? What about the spreadsheets, the presentations? To what is my education going to?

A friend posted that in order to receive the glories of God that one must pray for the abundance they do have and not pray over what they are lacking. With that said...

God I thank you for the abundance of ignorance you have surrounded me with, thank you for the disorganization, its cup runnth over.

Truthfully and above all thank you God for all the glories in my own life separate of it all... Not even I can deny that the stupidity of the years has provided me with goodness that You have allowed me to receive. But then what about my ability to stretch my fifteen cents into a dollar? My ability to analyze and come up with solutions to financial, health and personal problems? Okay God, I thank you for giving me to parents with enough wherewithal to teach me, educate me. You gave me to people who didn't come here (the US) with much, didn't command the language and after more than 30 years here still have fluency issues but that too has taught me: language barriers do not diminish meaning or importance in what is being said. They have given me truth, they have instilled fear and they have taught me to know when enough is enough. In that, You will help me.

So... In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


Sincerely,
~Cher

Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment