Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Lazy Epidemic

Disclaimer: You are my inspiration. If I witnessed your foolishness directly or indirectly, it is fodder for this blogger. If you are easily offended or feel that I am talking about you, please trust that I am not. My world does not reolve around you. I am sorry that you feel hurt, but I cannot live for you. I need an outlet and this is my way (my way = for me). If you think that I am personally attacking you, please reach out to me and we can discuss the matter between us.


If you can get away with going to work without actually working because they have bad management, then by all means "do you boo boo." Every once in a while you encounter an office of mishap where not much gets done or the amount of worked doled out is uneven. With that being said...




The Lazy Epidemic



There is an epidemic of people who want to get paid, but don't want to work. I know that it is not just in my office, or in my industry; it is widespread across organizations of all types, job titles and tax brackets. I know that there are some employees who fool around because they are just fed up with their working situation. As I mentioned, I can imagine that work is unevenly doled out for whatever reason, but when you walk through the doors at 9am you are expected to work. Yes, a lot of us regular employees (regular = those of us with no stake in the organization) fool around at times; but you (the employee) cannot get upset when the manager/supervisor/employer; the person who signs your checks asks you to work. You are in their employ for 8 hours of the day, and for those hours, a lot of the employers will ask you to work. Most times, the tasks you are entrusted do not require you go above and beyond the call of duty, but sometimes that is what is needed. No one is asking you to perform the "feats of stregnth," but every so often, you are going to have to follow up without being asked to follow up. In order to really complete the task, you are going to have to dig.

Digging is not so bad. And if you are in administration, sometimes you have to dig and actually get busy. I like to be busy at work because it makes my day go faster. My job in particular can become monotonous and boring to the point where I once hit my head on the desk when I dozed off - but that is neither here nor there. The point is, why continue to come to work to only complain about having to work?


I heard on the radio not to long ago (CBS 880am) that for every open position there are 6 qualified candidates for the job. 6! If I were to compete for my job now, it is like competing with the entire office (yes, we are that small).

Times are hard. The cost of gas is once again creeping up, commuting has become more expensive, tolls, crowdedness, so much to endure, but (as much as I hate hearing this and even repeating it) you have be thankful that you are indeed employed. You have to be even more thankful if you work for an organization that pays you every week, on time and in full.


I know that the farm needs to be tended to, the crops can go bad, the animals roam, you have to give a break to your employees in Cafe World or whatever it is you are playing but you have to strategically plan these crops to grow around lunch time, or just before you turn off your computer for the day. As a regular employee (defined above), I hate to be on the side of the company, but as a future business owner, it just isn't right.


I sign off leaving you with this... I am blogging at work. In my defense, I am on lunch.

CT

No comments:

Post a Comment