Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Free speech is not free of consequences: a look at social media

Free speech is not free of consequences: a look at social media

Today I read an article about an emergency medical employee who posted on her Facebook page derogatory remarks about her supervisor. Her "friends" who also consisted of coworkers chimed in and continued their rant. Shortly after she was fired (she also had other complaints against her, but for the sake of this blog lets simply disregard those facts).

Before social media, if you talked smack about a person it was directly to another person and usually in private. If by any chance they heard that you were talking about them it was their choice to confront you or not. If they did confront you, you either had to talk it out and eventually apologize or you took it to the streets. The consequences were you either apologized or you fought it out. (Before social media things were a lot simpler.)

Long before I came to work at my current organization, there was a new hire who was fired for uttering a phrase towards the owner of the company. Granted, I have been there over 10 years now and while their requests can border on the insane I wouldn't wish death upon them because of it. A request was made to this employee, and as the old man walked away she said "drop dead". He knew that she had every right to think whatever and say whatever she wanted. He knew that wasn't personal but it didn't mean that her words would not have consequences. Oh, you want me to drop dead? You don't want to deal with me? Okay then go home. No one is forced to remain at a job where they are unhappy with management. You can be replaced. And with 9.6% unemployment, you can be replaced quickly.

[They] argue that the young lady's dismissal is unconstitutional and maybe it is. But does the 2nd amendment give me the right to shoot random people on the street because I have the right to bear arms? I have a hand weapon, I acquire it legally, does that mean that I also have the right to just shoot people? I don't think so.

I have a mouth, I have a computer connected onto Facebook; can say anything? False my friends. Absolutely false. As the right to bear arms does not give anyone the right to shoot someone, free speech does not give anyone the right to shoot off at the mouth.

Here is the link to the article. Tell me what you think. http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101109/us_yblog_upshot/can-criticizing-the-boss-on-facebook-get-you-fired

Sincerely,
~Cher

Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I wanted to add it here, but didnt want to go over your head and didn't have the time to request permission since I am at TG doing this (instead of checking in. LOL).

    ReplyDelete